Knee and joint problems are inevitable after a certain age. But if you are someone looking for an alternative to these pills that treats joint ailments and other aches in the body, then yoga is the best alternate. A number of studies conducted over a span of twenty years have proved that yoga is quite effective to treat chronic pain in the joints along with other major disorders of the bone and the joints. Along with ailing joint ailments, yoga is also proven to decrease muscle stiffness and enhances overall physical comfort as it promotes muscular strength, flexibility and range of motion.
Yoga Poses To Fight Knee Pain And Other Joint Pain Problems
Best yoga asanas that helps fight joint problems including knee pain:
1. Mountain Pose:
- To perform this asana, stand upright and mount the feet firmly at the ground.
- Ensure that the back is kept straight and take deep but slow breaths.
- Inhale and exhale as you could realize that this posture relaxes the entire body.
- Stay in the position for some time and concentrate on the joints of the body.
2. Crocodile Pose:
This asana is performed in the sitting posture.
- Sit in lotus position that is both the thighs folded against each other.
- You could keep the left foot over the right thigh and right foot over the left thigh in this lotus position, which is a more stable form.
- Now hold both the toe tips with the respective hands and try to lie on the ground with the legs still in lotus position.
- Try touching the ground forward with the head and hold on in this position for some time depending on flexibility and return back to relaxing pose.
- Sit on all fours like cat or dog with body supported by hands and knees on the ground.
- Try to sit back slowly with legs folded inwards and bring the hands back to fold them near the stomach.
- Inhale strongly and exhale slowly.
4. Triangle pose:
- Balance the body by standing upright and spreading the legs as much as possible.
- Try to touch the ground with one hand and take the other up in the air like a triangle and try to stay in this posture for some time.
- This asana helps in relaxing the joints of both the hands and the legs at the same time.
5. Cobbler pose:
This pose works wonders for women, relieving hip joint pain, especially during their menopause.
- Sit on the floor and bring the soles of the feet together by keeping the knees as wide as possible, making and diamond shape with the legs.
- Keep the back and shoulders straight and relaxed and breathe slowly.
- You should feel that weight getting dropped gently towards the legs and for additional relief, place pillows and blocks under the knees to perform it more comfortably.
6. Supported warrior pose:
This acts best on hip joints.
- Stand near the wall and place hands over it, step one foot forward to touch the wall and try pushing the wall by bending one elbow and keep the other foot behind, hold on for 15 breaths and repeat with the other leg.