Both eyebrows and eyelashes help to balance the features so, when they lost, the face loses symmetry, and the expressions are different. The madarosis (loss of hair in these areas) can be due to different causes. Here we’ll know what causes hair fall on eyebrows and eyelashes.
The fact of having more or less amount of hair in the eyebrows or the eyelashes comes, like many other characteristics of the person, determined genetically.
But other situations can lead to the eyelashes or eyebrows are thinner, that is, less thick.
Why Can Hair fall On Eyebrows And Eyelashes
The medical term to refer to eyelashes and sparse eyebrows is that of madarosis (ciliary for the eyelashes and superciliary for the eyebrows).
The causes that can lead to this situation are multiple. Some, quite evident and others, clinically relevant that justify further studies and a series of tests.
Causes of Hair fall On Eyebrows And Eyelashes
1. Dermatitis or eczema that affects this area specifically (psoriasis is the most significant).
2. Effect of radiotherapy. More evident is the madarosis secondary to the application of radiotherapy in the area (for example, in the presence of a tumor on the eyelid, which requires this type of treatment).
3. The chemotherapy, in many cases, involves the appearance of widespread alopecia, which also includes the hair loss of eyelashes.
4. Syphilis and leprosy. They are rare in our environment and advances in antibiotic therapy have made rare cases of madarosis due to these infections.
5. A previous traumatism and a deep open wound that heals through healing will also leave depopulated the area that occupies.
6. The same reason may explain why the hair does not repopulate the area that occupies a burn.
7. The same damage that prolonged exposure to sunlight on the skin can cause in the eyes.
8. Abusing sunbathing can, therefore, be the origin of a tumor in the eyelids (basal cell carcinoma and squamous carcinoma), which involves the loss of eyelashes. These tumor formations are more common in light-skinned people who have reached 40 years of age.