The tonsils are lymph nodes found at the back of the mouth and the top of the throat. The primary function of the tonsils is the production of antibodies, helping to eliminate bacteria and other microorganisms that cause diseases, that is, they are good allies for the immune system. Here you’ll find the best tonsillitis home remedies.
A viral or bacterial infection in these structures can cause tonsillitis, leaving the tonsils inflamed. This infection can found in other parts of the throat and is very common in children.
What Is Tonsillitis?
Tonsillitis is an inflammation in the tonsils which in turn responsible for retaining the bacteria and viruses that invade the body through the throat producing antibodies. Tonsillitis appears when this mass of tissue is infected and inflamed.
Symptoms Of Tonsillitis
The most common symptoms of inflamed tonsils are:
- Fever and chills
- Hoarse voice
- A headache
- A sore throat lasting more than 2 days
- The sensitivity of the jaw and throat
Other problems and more severe symptoms that can occur are the respiratory problems due to the tonsils being very swollen and the difficulty in eating or drinking.
Tonsillitis Home Remedies
In addition to conventional treatments, home remedies for tonsillitis may also be one of the best ways to cure this problem and provide some relief to your throat.
With that in mind, we put together a list of 10 tonsillitis home remedies that work effectively and naturally.
1. Homemade Juice To Treat Tonsillitis
It is ideal for treating swollen tonsils.
- In a blender pour the pulp of a mango, the juice of two lemons, half a carrot and two tablespoons of honey.
- Mix them well.
- Take this natural drink to combat tonsillitis once a day for a week.
2. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar contains antiseptic and antibacterial properties, so it is useful in treating tonsillitis.
- Mix a glass of apple cider vinegar in a little water and gargle.
- Vinegar will help to reduce the inflammation of the tonsils.
3. Towel With Apple Cider Vinegar
This natural remedy will help to dislodge the tonsils.
- Moisten a cloth or towel with half a cup of the heated apple cider vinegar.
- Place it around the neck and let it dry.
4. Heated Towel
A convenient and useful tip to reduce inflammation in the throat is to warm a towel and place it around the neck for a few minutes. The heat will help to relieve a sore throat.
5. Watercress Syrup
Watercress is very useful to combat and cure all respiratory diseases.
- Blend 10 watercress leaves until all the liquid is loose (add one or two tablespoons of water if necessary), and add three tablespoons of honey.
- Place the mixture in a dark glass container and store in the refrigerator.
- Take a spoon three times a day.
6. Thyme Tea
Another home remedy to boost your defenses and eliminate sore throats is to make a thyme tea.
- Prepare the tea and add a spoonful of honey and lemon juice.
- Take this warm liquid three times a day.
- This remedy will cure the hoarseness.
7. Gargling With Marigold Tea
One natural treatment to combat bacterial tonsillitis is to make an infusion of marigold.
- Gargle with this drink several times a day.
Marigold can decrease pain and irritation of the throat, as well as being an excellent natural remedy for curing inflammation of the tonsils.
8. Baking Soda
One homemade trick to cure tonsillitis is to make mouthwashes with baking soda several times a day. Baking soda is very effective against throat infection.
9. Garlic And Onion
Many may find this an impossible task, but eating raw garlic and onion can help to heal inflammation of the throat since both are excellent antibacterials.
10. Foods Rich In Vitamin C
Consuming foods that contain vitamin C can prevent this problem. Kiwi is one of the fruits that contain a lot of vitamin C, other foods include:
- Raw yellow pepper
Image Source: 1