It may seem strange to you, but every hair on your head is born like a gray hair, and then it acquires its natural color, thanks to melanin. While your hair grows the melanocytes inject the melanin into each hair follicle. And, as we get older, the activity of the melanocytes diminishes, which culminates in less pigmentation of your hair.
There are many chemicals and dyes on the market to treat gray hair, but their aggressive chemicals make them unattractive. Fortunately, nature provides home remedies to stop gray hair.
Top 10 Home Remedies To Stop Gray Hair
1. Mix your conditioner with Coffee
For people with brown or black hair, or to add some variation to dark hair:
- Prepare a pot of black and strong coffee.
- Once it cools, mix a cup of coffee with two cups of conditioner.
- You can add a few tbsp of ground coffee to the mix to increase the effect.
- Leave it in your hair at least an hour before washing it.
- Although the coffee dye can be very subtle, this procedure can repeat several times until obtaining the desired color.
2. Potato Peels
The next time you go to eat potatoes, store the peels to make a natural dye that can darken your hair. The starches found in the potato skin act as a dye that can slowly darken gray hair.
- Boil 2 cups of water with a cup of potato skins for at least 25 minutes, remove the peels and let it cool the water.
- It’s not going to smell exactly right so that you can add a few drops of essential oils.
- Wash your hair with regular shampoo and conditioner as you usually do, and separate your hair into different sections.
- You can add the liquid directly into the sections or use a hair dye brush to spread the mixture in each section.
- Rinse your hair with cold water.
- Repeat the process on a regularly until you achieve the desired appearance.
3. Soak your hair with Tea
Another method to stop gray hair and recover the natural color of your skin is to use the tea. Black tea works best for dark colors, chamomile for blondes and rooibos for redheads.
- Once a week, soak 3 to 5 tea bags in two pots of boiling water and cool it before applying it to your clean, damp hair.
- Mix it with a conditioner for better results.
- Leave it for at least an hour.
- Keep in mind that the more time spent in your hair, the more intense your color will be.
- When your gray hair has absorbed the color of tea, you can wash it.
- Wash your hair with cold water, because if you use hot water, the color will go faster.
Applying the Amla will give a healthier appearance of your hair, with a very pleasant natural shine.
- The Amla, can mix with coconut oil or almond oil and rub by massaging the scalp.
- This mixture acts as a natural dye, and its oils moisturize and enrich the scalp.
- It can also take in the form of juices to improve your overall health and decrease gray hair.
5. Use Henna
The henna is a reddish tinge extracted from the tree called Lawsonia inermis that has been using for cosmetic purposes since ancient times.
Henna powder can mix with other natural substances such as vinegar, lemon juice, cloves or essential oils, before applying. If you like, the henna can mix with indigo to obtain a darker color.
Henna should use naturally to maintain its bright color and effectively to stop gray hair. You can apply it once a week or once a month, depending on the intensity you require.
6. Consume Vitamin B12
Vitamin B12 plays a vital role in the healthy functioning of your brain and nervous system. Also, it has a fundamental performance in the production of DNA and RNA, the genetic codes necessary for cell multiplication, essential for the growth and development of all living beings.
Although deficiencies of vitamin B12 have linked to the appearance of gray hair, they can combat including salmon, sardines, tuna, lamb, meat, eggs, milk and other foods high in vitamin B12.
Another key related to the mystery of why hair begins to turn gray. A study published in 2012, which found that low levels of copper in the body can cause premature graying.
By measuring the levels of copper, zinc, and iron in the blood of 66 people, under 20 years of age and with gray hair, the researchers concluded that their copper levels were significantly lower compared to people of the same age without gray hair.
Prevent the appearance of gray hair can be as simple as eating sesame seeds, cashews, soybeans, spinach, asparagus and shiitake mushrooms. All these foods are an excellent food source to obtain copper in your diet.
You can also take it as a supplement, always under the advice of a doctor.
8. Use natural herbs to restore color to your hair
The flowers and herbs are excellent natural dyes. Because their color is so faint. You will most likely need to use them continuously to maintain color.
Many options are depending on the color of your hair:
For dark hair: sage, rosemary, stinging nettle, cloves,cinnamon.
For blonde hair: Chamomile, calendula, lemon peel, saffron, cempasúchil, yarrow, sunflower petals and Verbascum flowers.
For red hair: Hibiscus flowers, red clover, rose hips, red rose petals, beets, carrots, and cempasúchil.
9. Use Beet, Carrot and Lemon Juice to give a vibrant tone to your hair
Rinse your hair with beet juice, carrot juice, lemon juice or a combination of the three. You can restore the natural red highlights of your hair or add a vibrant tone. Beets are better for darker red colors, carrots for a softer orange and lemon is good for golden blonde hair.
- Combine a cup of juice with your conditioner or coconut oil and rub it into your hair, massaging it.
- Since beet juice and carrot juice can stain your skin, be sure to protect your face by applying oil around the parts where your hair starts, on your ears and your neck.
- Leave the mixture for an hour on your hair before rinsing.
- If you are going to use lemon juice, you can sit in the sun to get more brightness and a lighter shade.
10. Stop Smoking helps you avoid getting gray prematurely
In addition to the many benefits of quitting, there is a clear relationship between smoking cigarettes and the premature appearance of gray hair. Cigarette smoking causes oxidative stress, which can accelerate the aging process and increase the chances of your hair turning gray before age 30.
Our bodies have the impressive regenerative capacity, and by stopping smoking, you could reverse the damage produced to your cardiovascular health, as well as the symptoms of aging such as wrinkles and gray hair.
Image Source: 1