If you suffer from a sprained ankle, then you will know the swelling and pain that this injury can cause. The slight ankle sprains are very frequent, but with a daily rehabilitation and the home remedies for sprained ankle that we are going to give you in this article, you will be able to overcome it. Do you want to discover them?
What is Ankle Sprain?
An ankle sprain occurs when a joint twisted so that the ligaments that connect the bones to the joint are damaged.
Ankle sprains can occur for many reasons, although the most common causes are usually running or walking through uneven terrain, wearing shoes with too high a heel, lifting heavy objects, or as a result of an accident.
On the other hand, the symptoms of a sprained ankle usually range from pain to swelling, bruising and even movement limitations.
The intensity of the sprain can vary from mild to severe. Severe sprains require medical attention to overcome them, while mild ankle sprains, which are the most common, can treat at home with some home remedies for sprained ankle like the ones below.
Home Remedies For Sprained Ankle
As we told you, if the ankle sprains are mild we can relieve the pain with simple and effective home remedies at home. Here we leave you the best ten home remedies for sprained ankle. Let’s see them!
1. Ice Bag
The first step to follow when you suffer from a sprained ankle is to apply cold in the area. If what we want is to reduce the swelling produced by the sprain, as well as to relieve inflammation and pain, the application of ice will help us, as it will reduce the blood flow in the damaged ligaments, preventing them from tearing.
This remedy should apply in the affected area during the first 48 to 72 hours after having suffered the injury.
- Take few ice cubes into a towel and apply it to act in the area for 15 or 20 minutes.
- You can repeat this method every two or three hours.
If you do not have cubes, you can also use any frozen package you have, but whatever you put, always cover it with a towel and not directly on the skin to avoid damaging it.
2. Olive Oil
Olive oil has healing properties that will help our ankle recover before, and also helps to reduce inflammation.
- Heat little olive oil and apply it on the affected area by giving gentle massages.
- In this way, you can relax the muscles and relieve the pain.
- You can repeat the action three or four times a day, for a few days.
- You can also mix a spoonful of olive oil with an egg yolk, and apply the mixture on the area.
- Cover it with cotton and bandage the ankle for a couple of days.
3. Castor Oil
Castor oil is another useful remedy to relieve pain and inflammation of sprained ankle. The essential fatty acids it contains will also help us to improve circulation and relax our joints.
- Moisten a cotton cloth in castor oil and apply it on the ankle, leaving it to act between 20 or 30 minutes.
- It is advisable to keep your foot up during that time to favor circulation.
- You can repeat the process until you begin to notice an improvement.
Turmeric is an excellent analgesic due to its anti-inflammatory properties. Also, being antispasmodic, this spice helps us to relax muscles, tissues, and joints, thus relieving swelling and pain.
- Add in a bowl two tablespoons of turmeric powder, a tablespoon of lemon juice and a little warm water.
- Mix the ingredients to form a thick dough.
- Then, apply the mixture in the ankle area and wrap it with a bandage, leaving it to act for about 10 hours.
- You can repeat this treatment for a week.
- Mix two tablespoons of turmeric powder and limestone powder and add water until it thickens.
- Next, apply the mass in the affected area before going to sleep, and let it act throughout the night.
- Remove it in the morning.
- You can repeat this action for 2 or 3 days.
- If the pain is very intense, you can also mix a teaspoon of turmeric powder in a glass of warm milk and drink.
Onions have anti-inflammatory properties that are very useful to treat ankle sprains. By making an onion poultice, we will be able to extract the toxins and reduce inflammation of the ankle.
- Add a spoonful of salt to a chopped onion, and spread the mixture in muslin or fine cotton cloth, with which we wrap our ankle to leave for a couple of hours.
- Then wash the area and notice that the inflammation has reduced.
- You can repeat the remedy until you see that the symptoms disappear.
- Put an onion in the fridge to cool for a couple of hours, then chop a small onion.
- Then mix them with a right amount of salt, and apply the mixture on the ankle, wrapping it with an elastic bandage for about eight hours.
- You can repeat the process for one or two days.
6. Epsom Salt
Epsom salts contain magnesium sulfate crystals that are very effective in relieving muscle and nerve pain.
- Pour a cup of Epsom salt in a bowl of hot water.
- With the help of the hand, remove the water with the salts so that they dissolve, and then insert the foot into the container to let the ankle soak for at least half an hour.
- You can repeat the action twice a day for four days.
7. Garlic and Coconut Oil
The anti-inflammatory properties of garlic are beneficial in relieving the pain and inflammation produced by a sprained ankle. Also, its healing properties and ability to increase the strength and energy of our body, the healing process will accelerate.
- Mix a tablespoon of garlic juice with two tablespoons of hot coconut oil, and rub the mixture over the affected area.
- You should let it act for half an hour, and then wash the area with warm water.
- You can repeat the method up to three or four times a day, for several days, until you feel that your ankle recovers.
8. Arnica Essential Oil
Arnica is another of the good home remedies for sprained ankle due to its anti-inflammatory properties, which will help reduce pain, swelling, and inflammation of the area. This plant is widely used to heal and strengthen muscles and joints, and also helps us to improve circulation and to prevent the appearance of bruises in the area of the injury.
- Apply a few drops of arnica oil in diluted form on the ankle, and massage the area.
- Next, wrap the ankle with a bandage and let the remedy work for at least five hours.
- You can repeat the process several days in a row until you notice that your ankle recovers.
- Apply arnica balm or ointment in the form of cream two or three times a day.
- Of course, never apply on open wounds and make sure you are not sensitive to this plant.
To try to reduce inflammation, compressing or bandaging the injured area can be very useful, as it will help us to control pain and prevent the injury from getting worse.
- Put a compressor or elastic bandage for the day, in such a way that it wraps the toes up to the middle of the calf with even pressure.
- Do not over pressure because you could restrict the flow of blood, and at night remove the bandage.
- If you notice that the area is numb or starts to turn blue, immediately remove the bandage.
10. Rehabilitation Exercises
Another remedy that we can put into practice is the realization of some exercises to increase mobility and help the ligaments of the ankle recover gradually. Although, keep in mind that you should do them if the sprain is mild, and as long as you do not have it too bloated or painful.
- Make circles with your ankles or write the alphabet with your toes, so that we increase the mobility little by little.
- Sit on a chair and place the sole on the floor.
- Next, move the knees from side to side gently for about 2 or 3 minutes, keeping the foot flat all the time.