Sciatica describes the pain that radiates to the back of the thigh and the lower part of the leg. In addition to drugs, you can prefer home remedies for sciatica to reduce discomfort. That’s why we show you some home remedies for sciatica to relieve the pain.
What Is Sciatica?
Sciatica is an inflammation in the sciatic nerve. It is a nerve that is in the lumbar part of the spine, and that passes through buttocks, back of the thigh and knee. Intense pain usually reaches this part, and sometimes extends to the feet.
Symptoms Of Sciatica
- Intense pain in the back, buttocks, and legs, which can intensify when walking.
- Impossibility of staying straight.
- Tingling sensation and numbness in the spine, buttocks, on the sole.
- Weakness in one or both legs.
- The pain is relieved by rest but intensifies if we return to some activity.
- Difficulty walking or staying a long time in the same position.
Home Remedies For Sciatica
1. Cold / Heat
A simple cold bag can reduce sciatic nerve pain, although it should only use when the pain is very intense. On the other hand, the heat increases the flow of oxygen and nutrients that reach this area.
It is a homemade method that can help to relieve symptoms. It is of great relief when the inflammation presents an advanced level. Alternating showers of warm and cold water not less than 20 minutes but not more than 2 hours improves the circulatory activity of the leg.
In the search for home remedies for sciatic nerve, reflexology is a popular one because of its high comfort and relief content in the sore area. Some people do not tolerate contact because of the intense pain, as in the case of pregnancy and the elderly.
Foot reflexology massages the foot without touching the area. It works the reflex level by relieving and draining the pressure points through the foot, unlocking the joints, and compression of the spine on the sciatic nerve.
Valerian has natural relaxing and antispasmodic properties that can decrease pain and pressure due to muscle contractions that press on the nerve and back.
- In a cup of water, place two teaspoons of Valerian root and honey.
- Drink it in the morning and bedtime.
5. Eucalyptus Compresses
It is one of the most popular home remedies for sciatica that exist in holistic and alternative medicine. Eucalyptus compresses with warm water can help to reduce inflammation and reduce pain while relaxing the muscle. It provides not only a notable improvement but also helps the patient to drain the tension through the sensation and relaxation of the session in the comfort of their home.
6. Arnica Ointment
Arnica is an ideal medicinal plant with anti-inflammatory properties for muscle and vascular lesions. Generally, it comes in a menthol presentation ideal for cooling the area.
- It is recommended to perform circular massages clockwise in less than 10 minutes until the ointment is absorbed through the skin. Repeat it two times a day.
7. Peppermint Oil
Peppermint is widely used as an analgesic. It has incredible anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties, which can help to reduce the pain and inflammation associated with the sciatic nerve and also accelerate its recovery.
8. White Willow
Due to its natural analgesic properties, white willow is one of the best home remedies for sciatica pain.
- Macerate a piece of the white willow bark overnight in a liter of water.
- Then boil it for about 15 minutes and let it rest and strain it.
- Take a cup of this infusion three times a day.
- Do not take if you are pregnant.
Garlic keeps the blood warm, increases circulation, and provides relief for discomfort and pain. Some say that garlic milk is also an excellent home treatment for sciatica.
- Chop two cloves of garlic in half a cup of milk.
- Drink this preparation two times a day.
However, you should be careful with garlic, if you are taking certain medications as anticoagulants or if you have any bleeding problems or ulcers. Consult your doctor before taking garlic supplements.
10. Ginger Oil
The ginger essential oil has a wide range of benefits. Ginger oil is soothing and can help to relieve sciatic nerve pain. Ginger also contains a spicy component called -gingerol, which is said to have anesthetic effects. The combined effect of these properties can be quite useful in the treatment of sciatica and its symptoms.
Turmeric has curcumin in it. Curcumin is not only anti-inflammatory but also has analgesic properties, which can be very useful for relieving sciatica and its symptoms such as pain and inflammation.
12. Fenugreek Seeds
Due to the incredible anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties of fenugreek, it helps to relieve sciatic nerve pain and its symptoms. Fenugreek contains a petroleum ether compound that gives it its anti-inflammatory properties and helps relieve sciatic nerve pain.
13. Vitamin B
Vitamin B helps to have proper functioning in the muscles and nerves. This vitamin is a great pain reliever, helping to restore the nervous system. You can take supplements of this vitamin, or you can find it in foods such as spinach, nuts, meat, parsley, green leaves, cereals, and legumes, among others.
14. Celery Juice
Celery is an effective way to reduce pain quite quickly and effectively. It’s anti-inflammatory, and analgesic properties are immediate when this juice is integrated consistently in the daily diet.
- Blend five celery stalks previously washed, one glass of water, and one tablespoon honey and strain.
- Drink the juice on an empty stomach.
15. Turmeric And Ginger
Turmeric and ginger are anti-inflammatory and antioxidant bonds that benefit the regeneration of tissues and the preventive pains in the leg, buttocks, and back.
Recommendations To Prevent Sciatica
- Performing exercise will help to have more muscle mass in the abdomen and back. Exercises such as swimming or pilates are highly recommended.
- Lift the weights, always bending the legs and knees, and lift with the back (spine) straight.
- Sleep on a suitable mattress. It can’t be soft or hard. A professional can advise you on the right type of mattress.
- Lose weight if you are obese or overweight. It will help the spine to have to endure less effort.
- Wear proper shoes, which is comfortable and not hard. Otherwise, it can aggravate the pain.