Gout is a painful inflammation that accumulates mainly in the big toe and has its origin in the excessive accumulation of uric acid. Sometimes, it can also be the product of the degeneration of the joints. In this article, you’ll find the symptoms, causes, and home remedies for gout that you should aware of.
People who suffer from gout lead a sedentary life and excessive protein-rich foods that generate too much uric acid in the body. So controlling food is an essential factor in those who are prone to suffer it.
Gout attacks can occur spontaneously through intense pain that is located in the big toe, and that is sometimes accompanied by redness and itching.
Gout appears when uric acid occurs at such high levels that it can not be purified by the kidneys, which are responsible for its metabolization and expulsion from the body. So drinking plenty of fluid is essential in the recovery process.
Symptoms Of Gout
1. Joints that swell will feel hot and sensitive, and can not withstand contact pressure.
2. Inability to move the affected joint.
3. Mainly it is felt in the foot, in particular, the big toe, although it can also occur in the ankles, heels, knees, wrists, fingers or elbows.
4. The skin around the joint turn red or purple, and bruises.
5. Persistent discomfort around the joints, the skin will peel, and you may feel itching.
6. After long periods of gout, nodules may develop under the skin near the joints.
Causes Of Gout
1. Inadequate and excessively high intake of fats and proteins that elevate uric acid in the body. The main foods that produce uric acid are red meat and shellfish. So their consumption should eliminate before the onset of symptoms and limit as far as possible to prevent them.
2. Alcohol and other beverages are harmful to the body due to the rapidity that causes intoxication are also precursors of uric acid.
3. Obesity is another risk factor for gout because the metabolic functions of an obese person are slowed down and limited by their state of health.
4. Hypertension also the possibility of uric acid rising and suffering from gout because the joints of a hypertensive person are obstructed, and the processes of elimination of harmful substances slowed down.
5. The lack of exercise also restricts the body’s ability to compensate for bad eating habits by increasing the risk of suffering from gout when the diet predisposes it.
Home Remedies For Gout
There are several home remedies for gout that can be helpful for all those who suffer from this problem.
1. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar help to raise the alkaline level of your body, which considerably reduces the pain of gout. With its significant acidity, apple cider vinegar is commonly used to treat headaches and stomach aches. The best way to ingest apple cider vinegar is to drink it in a glass of water.
- In a glass of water, mix a teaspoon of vinegar and drink this mixture three times a day.
- To sweeten the drink, you can add a little honey, which can also boost the anti-inflammatory response of the body.
2. Baking Soda
Baking soda is another natural remedy that can be effective in the treatment of gout pain. Baking soda help to reduce uric acid in the body.
- Mix a teaspoon of baking soda and honey.
- Consume it several times a day.
- But you should not consume more than four teaspoons a day.
- If you are over 60, you should consume only three teaspoons per day.
Note: This method is not recommending for anyone suffering from hypertension since baking soda raises blood pressure.
3. Lemon Juice
Citrus fruits are popularly known to be very useful in fighting gout, and all of them help reduce uric acid in the blood. So the intake of lemon juice is tremendously beneficial for all those people who suffer from gout.
- Squeeze a lemon and dissolve it in water and drink.
- It is more beneficial if you do it on an empty stomach.
4. Honey With Lemon
Both honey and lemon provide the body with an alkaline state that progressively eliminates high levels of uric acid.
- Three tablespoons of honey
- A lemon juice
- A liter of water
How To Take It:
- Boil the water and then add the juice of a lemon and three tablespoons of honey.
- Stir with a spoon and take two or three times a day.
The ginger root helps to cure gout due to the chemical compound called 6-Shogaol, which helps to reduce the inflammation caused by the formation of uric acid crystals.
6. Epsom Salt
It helps to relieve the pain caused by gout. Containing magnesium it helps to reduce blood pressure and improve circulation.
- In a bathtub full of water, add two or three cups of Epsom salt and immerse yourself in it until the water cools.
You can also try taking bromelain, which is a compound that can find in pineapples. The enzymes contained within are often recommended for people with gout and have even been shown to have anti-cancer properties.
Taking it daily as a vegetable is beneficial for our entire body, but it is also suitable for people suffering from uric acid or gout since it is an alkaline vegetable.
You can take it naturally, in salads, boiled, or you can also make a juice or carrot shake.
Cherries are another delight of nature that can help you if you have gout problems. Cherries have large amounts of antioxidants and anthocyanins, which reduce inflammation of the joints.
A daily dose of 15 to 20 cherries is recommended. If you want to avoid the high concentration of sugar in fresh fruit, try drinking a glass of cherry juice.
It is recommended to eat four strawberries every morning because, in addition to being a fruit that contains liquids, this can also help to eliminate fluid retention and therefore, when urinating eliminate uric acid.
It is recommended that the strawberries are small and if you have a stomach reaction with the strawberries, then it is advisable to eat them after the meal.
Like carrots, celery is another alkaline vegetable that reduces and eliminates uric acid levels so that it is as easy as taking a little bit a broth, a juice, or you can even take it raw.
When you feel like gout pain, put a bag of ice on the sore area for about 15 minutes. It will relieve pain and also have anti-inflammatory properties.
12. Nettle Tea
Another home remedy for uric acid is nettle tea, which has an anti-inflammatory effect that stimulates circulation and decreases swelling in the region.
- One spoonful of dry leaves of nettle
- 150 ml of boiling water
- Place the water on the dried leaves and keep infusing for 20 minutes.
- Strain and drink several times a day.
13. Beet Juice With Carrot
An excellent home remedy for uric acid is the combined juice of beet, carrot, cucumber, and watercress. The ingredients of these juices have properties that help to eliminate the excess of uric acid from the organism and an excellent therapeutic complement for gout and arthritis.
- 80 g of beet
- 80 g of carrot
- 80 g of cucumber
- 20 g of watercress
- Blend all ingredients.
- Drink this concentrate daily in the morning and fasting.
14. Arnica Ointment
Arnica ointment is excellent for relieving joint pain or pain caused by the wound, bruising, or bumps, because it has anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties.
- 5 g of beeswax
- 45 ml of olive oil
- Four tablespoons of leaves and flowers of chopped arnica
- Place the ingredients in a saucepan in a bain-marie sauce, simmer for a few minutes.
- Then remove from the heat and keep the ingredients inside the pot for a few hours to macerate.
- Cool it and then store the liquid part in a container with a lid.
- Keep the container in a dry, dark, and airy place.
Dandelion is a medicinal plant that generally helps to relieve arthritis, so it is beneficial to combat gout because it promotes the elimination of uric acid crystals deposited in the joints.
It favors the elimination of uric acid through urine, also helps to reduce the effects of inflammation. It can take in infusion twice a day.