Back pain is one of the common ailments that people suffer, and although it mostly affects older people, and it can also affect younger people. There are several home remedies for back pain that you can try.
Sedentary lifestyle, incorrect postures, overweight, or some medical conditions such as ovarian cysts, sciatica, or herniated discs are some of the reasons for back pain.
Age is one of the reasons for back pain since, over time, the spine wears out, and that can cause pain in the neck and back. But this does not mean that young people cannot suffer them since some medical conditions such as herniated discs, sciatica, or even ovarian cysts can produce them. Moreover, genetic inheritance has an essential role in the appearance of these pains.
Home Remedies For Back Pain
The following home remedies for back pain will help you to relieve that discomfort.
If back pain is due to the presence of an inflammatory condition, ginger root is one of the recommended home remedies for back pain because of its anti-inflammatory properties, such as a true natural antibiotic.
- Cut a thin slice of ginger, boil it, and cook in the water for 30 minutes, lowering the heat.
- Filter the water and allow it to cool and drink.
Turmeric contains curcumin, a substance that is used to treat a wide variety of ailments, including back pain. It can reduce the swelling and pain caused by vertebral osteoarthritis, one of the causes of back pain.
- Heat a glass of milk and dissolve in a quarter of a teaspoon of organic turmeric powder.
- Then drink the mixture.
- This drink will provide relief for muscle aches and back pain.
3. Chamomile Tea
Chamomile is a plant known for its power to relax muscles and reduce pain caused by lumbago. If you consume chamomile tea a day, you can relieve the pain of low back pain in a short time.
- Heat the mineral water in a bowl.
- When it boils, add the chamomile bag and remove it from heat.
- Wait ten or fifteen minutes as the water can absorb the properties of chamomile.
- After that time, remove the sachet of chamomile and drink the infusion in small sips.
4. Sage Tea
Sage is a plant with excellent anti-inflammatory properties, so it will help to relieve any muscle pain or any discomfort in the back.
- Boil two or three tablespoons of sage leaf in 1.5 liters of water for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let it cool.
- Then, strain it and drink.
5. Epsom Salt Bath
Epsom salt bath can provide almost immediate relief of back pain. These salts are an excellent remedy to relieve muscle pain. The body absorbs the magnesium sulfate they contain through the pores of the skin. By improving magnesium levels, you will feel how inflammation and back pain is reduced. Also, Epsom salt baths improve the blood circulation and nervous system.
6. Rosemary Bath
Rosemary bath will help to calm your back pain, but you will drive away stress.
- Fill the bathtub with heated water and add some rosemary leaves.
- Leave them to rest for about 5 minutes.
- Then remove the leaves, and immerse yourself in the bathtub.
- Enjoy and relax for 15 minutes.
7. Cayenne Pepper
Natural extracts of cayenne pepper are used for the preparation of herbal ointments for acute muscle pain and back pain. Cayenne pepper may be present in ointments as a powdered extract or essential oil. Cayenne pepper contains a substance called capsaicin, capable of acting effectively against rheumatism and acute muscle pain.
8. Devil’s Claw
The use of the devil’s claw is common in herbal medicine for bone, muscle, and joint problems, especially in the presence of painful and inflammatory conditions. It is also useful to treat back pain. The devil’s claw is found in the form of tinctures, herbal tablets, as an ingredient in herbal ointments and as a dry extract of its roots.
9. Coconut And Garlic Oil
A back massage with hot coconut oil can provide relief for back pain. Also, if we add a few cloves of garlic to the hot coconut oil, we will benefit from the anti-inflammatory properties of garlic.
- Heat a half cup of extra virgin coconut oil.
- Add 8 to 10 cloves of raw garlic in the cup and let it rest.
- When the oil acquires a dark brown shade, remove them from the mixture and let it cool.
- Then apply coconut oil on the back and massage in the form of small circular movements.
Adding a series of exercises to your life will help you avoid and relieve back pain. Yoga, Pilates, and swimming are excellent for relaxing and strengthening your back.
[ Read Also: Yoga Poses For Back Pain ]
However, you should avoid exercises such as abdominals and weight lifts. Try to touch your toes while standing is also a bad idea, which can accentuate the pain.
How To Prevent Back Pain
Back pain is often due to a poor sitting posture, standing, or walking. However, the pain may also appear because you are too sedentary or overweight. Here are tips to prevent back pain:
- Avoid being overweight
- When you wake up in the morning, bend your knees against your chest, and stay that way for a few minutes. To go down, turn to one side and place one foot first and then the other.
- When brushing your teeth, place your hand on the sink to avoid excessive curvature of the back.
- If you stand for a long time, move and place your back, if possible, on a wall or even better, unload the weight of the body by widening the feet.
- If you work sitting on a computer, place your back and shoulders on the back of the chair.
- In the car, find the right distance to the pedals, so your back is resting, and your knees are slightly bent.
- If you need to lift the weights, do so, keeping your back straight and the pelvis back.
- If you iron, set the table at the right height for you to reduce the lumbar curve.
- If you wash something in the tub, always put one knee on the floor.