Are you dealing with annoying blackheads that just won’t go away? In this blog post, we’ll be discussing how to naturally get rid of blackheads and understanding what causes them in the first place.
Most people try to fix the problem from the outside in, by using pore strips or over-washing their face, but this is a mistake and won’t get to the root cause. So, let’s get into it!
What are Blackheads and Whiteheads?
Blackheads and whiteheads are called comedones, which comes from the Latin word “worm”. The difference between the two is that blackheads are exposed to oxygen, causing them to oxidize and turn black, while whiteheads are covered by a membrane, so the material inside doesn’t oxidize.
Both types of comedones are clogged hair follicles or problems with the sebaceous gland, which is the oil gland.
What Causes Blackheads?
The root cause of blackheads is a spike in androgens, which is a type of testosterone that occurs in both boys and girls.
This is why you often see teenagers with blackheads, since androgens spike during puberty. The androgens come from a spike in insulin, as well as insulin-like growth hormone.
What Triggers Blackheads?
There are three main things that will trigger blackheads:
- Refined carbohydrates (sugars, breads, pastas, crackers, etc.) will spike insulin and encourage the problem.
- Dairy is especially powerful, as it is filled with hormones that can affect our body.
- And omega-6 fatty acids (corn oil, canola oil, cottonseed oil, etc.) can worsen acne, blackheads, and whiteheads.
In the last 20 years, there has been a massive spike in refined carbohydrates, sugar, dairy, and omega-6 fatty acids in our diets, which is contributing to the problem.
Four-Step Plan to Eliminate Blackheads
To get rid of blackheads naturally, follow this four-step plan:
- Decrease refined carbohydrates in your diet.
- Eliminate dairy from your diet.
- Decrease omega-6 fatty acids.
- Incorporate borage oil into your diet. Borage oil is an omega-6 fatty acid, but it has anti-inflammatory properties that can help thin the sebum and break down the protein plug. It can also reduce oxidation and create an antioxidant effect.
By following this four-step plan, you should see a big improvement in your skin and can say goodbye to blackheads!
For more information on omega-6 fatty acids and how to incorporate borage oil into your diet, check out the links provided below.
Good luck on your journey to clear skin!
How long does it take to get rid of blackheads?
It depends on the individual, but it is possible to see results in as little as a few weeks.
Is it okay to use pore strips to remove blackheads?
Pore strips are not recommended, as they can cause further irritation and inflammation. It is best to stick to natural methods of eliminating blackheads.
Is there a way to prevent blackheads from coming back?
Yes, by following the four-step plan listed above. Additionally, try to stick to a clean, healthy diet and practice good skincare habits.