Burning pains and regurgitation of food to the esophagus and sometimes to the end in the mouth are clear signs of a disease known as acid reflux or heartburn. If you suffer from reflux, then most of the time you make handmade antacids or over-the-counter medications. The use of bromelain, an enzyme found in pineapple, is a wonderful natural method for treating reflux symptoms, helps in the digestion of proteins and to enjoy a delicious and healthy snack or dessert.
Use only fresh pineapple to make sure you have enough bromelain enzymes available in the fruit to treat your reflux.
Buy a pineapple that is firm but not hard and with skin that is golden yellow or brown to ensure absolute freshness. It should feel heavy due to the amount of juice inside.
How To Use Pineapple Juice For Acid Reflux
Prepare the pineapple juice in one of the several ways.
- To eat like fruit, remove the leaves and cut the top of the pineapple.
- Remove the skin and remove small brown spots, which called the eyes.
- Cut the pineapple and eat it around the core – but do not eat the fruit core.
The pineapple is wonderful to reduce inflammation and scarring.
Pineapple juice is a refreshing gift. Use an electric extractor for this process and remember to include the skin to use the maximum amounts of digestive enzymes found in the cortex.
Eat a piece of pineapple after a meal to help aid in digestion especially or to calm a case of reflux. Or take a small glass of pineapple juice for relief.
Tips & Warnings
- Store any remaining pineapple in its own juice in the refrigerator. It will maintain for several days, although the active enzymes will decrease over time.
- Pineapple juice in bottle or can has no active enzymes and can aggravate reflux due to the presence of acids in the juice. Bromelain supplements are available in health food stores if you are unable to tolerate pineapple.
- The suggestions given here are for educational purposes and are not intended to replace medical advice.
Image Source: 1