The use of turmeric has much studied in recent times, not only for functional properties, beneficial to the body but also as an ally for the treatment of the skin. However, if turmeric alone already does a damned good, allied with other herbs then, it further enhances its benefits, especially about the hydration of the skin. Here, we’ll list out some of the benefits of turmeric for skin.
According to a study, herbal supplements containing turmeric strengthen the skin barrier as well as its appearance due to the moisturizing power it promotes, when compared to those containing only common saffron.
The study, conducted by a University of California team of 30 healthy subjects, consisted of dividing them into three groups, in which they took a placebo, turmeric, and turmeric-containing herbal supplements twice daily for four weeks.
The research team measured facial sebum and transepidermal water loss in the participants, at the beginning and the end of the study. The conclusion reached was that turmeric herbal supplements substantially decrease the loss of epidermal water, that is, maintain the natural hydration of the skin.
And none of the supplements showed side effects. However, the herbal supplement containing turmeric can use to improve the function of the skin, and as its hydration.
Benefits Of Turmeric For Skin
The combination of turmeric with other plants promotes several benefits of the skin.
1. Reduces Acne
Turmeric has antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, and antioxidant properties that help to reduce acne.
- Mix a ¼ teaspoon of turmeric powder with a tablespoon of honey, a ½ teaspoon of powdered sandalwood, a drop of essential oil of green tea and lavender essential oil.
- Apply it to the face and wash it thoroughly after 10 minutes.
2. Lightens The Skin
Curcumin, a substance found in turmeric, helps to regulate the production of melanin, which gives skin pigmentation and, when produced in excess, causes darker patches.
- To lighten these spots, mix ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder with a tablespoon of lemon and a drop of essential oil of sandalwood and frankincense.
- This mixture should apply to the skin at night so as not to tarnish it further (because oil and sun stain the skin).
3. Exfoliate The Skin
In addition to being gentle to exfoliate the skin, turmeric has antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, and anti-aging properties.
- Mix ¼ tablespoon turmeric powder with one tablespoon of oatmeal powder and one drop of ylang-ylang essential oil.
- Apply it and wash it after 15 minutes.
4. Accelerates Healing And Regeneration Of The Skin
Those who suffer from acne, dermatitis, eczema, psoriasis, and scars caused by acne can benefit from this suggestion.
- Mix ½ teaspoon turmeric powder with three tablespoons and raw shea cream and three drops of lavender, chamomile, and melaleuca essential oil.
- Apply to the face and wash it after ten minutes.
It is no wonder that turmeric has been used for thousands of years, not only in cooking but also as medicine and cosmetics.
The use of turmeric, both in cooking and condiment, and now in aesthetics, as a first ingredient in the preparation of natural beauty cosmetics, is also increasingly common here.
Image Source: 1