Worries, anguish, and physical discomfort are the leading causes of insomnia, which can trigger a series of physiological, emotional, and behavioral consequences. If you have spent whole nights walking each end of the bed without being able to sleep 8 hours in a row, try these natural and homemade drinks that help you sleep and that will help you rest your body and mind.
Drinks That Help You Sleep
1. Coconut Water
Coconut water helps you fall asleep. So it is recommended to drink 200 ml of coconut water one hour before going to sleep. It happens because it reduces the levels of cortisol, the stress hormone, as well as the sensation of indigestion by heavy meals.
2. Cherry Juice
It is a rich source of melatonin, the hormone that regulates the sleep cycle. It is advisable to drink half a glass (100 ml ) of cherry juice in the morning and the evening, but no more than one cup per day.
3. Chamomile Tea
It helps to reduce anxiety, so it works as a relaxing drink.
How To Make Chamomile Tea:
- One tablespoon of chamomile (10 gr)
- One cup of water (250 ml)
- Boil the water and when it is boiling add chamomile, let stand for 5 minutes, strain and consume.
4. Lavender Tea
Lavender reduces blood pressure and heart rate and, therefore, promotes relaxation. It is advisable to drink lavender tea half an hour before going to sleep.
How To Make Lavender Tea:
- One spoon of fresh or dried lavender
- Two cups of water (500 ml)
- Put to heat the water and when it is boiling, add the lavender, let stand for 5 minutes, strain and consume.
5. Valerian Tea
This plant is widely using in treatments for insomnia.
How To Make Valerian Tea:
- One cup of hot water (250 ml)
- One teaspoon of valerian (5 gr)
- Add the valerian to the boiling water and let stand a few minutes, strain, and consume.